Saturday, April 9, 2011

Horne


"hagridden" - afflicted by nightmares or fear




Horne


My surname is Horne. It is taken from my father. While I was at school, some of my friends found it amusing. Some suggested it represented the musical instrument 'horn'. Others pronounced it 'horny' for fun, and a few called me 'hor-nay' in some bad-boy rapper pronunciation!

It's all water under the bridge now. They obviously didn't know a little of the history behind my great name. I'm extremely proud of my surname - it defines who I am.

Through family history work started by my mother, I have been able to discover who my ancestors were/are, not just on my dad's side, but on my mum's too.

I recently learned from my dad that my grandfather Horne served as a mechanic on a submarine in World War 2 (WW2). I'd never known this! I have recently been reading about WW2 and I've developed a great sense of awe and respect for the brave and courageous men, the greatest generation England has ever produced, hagridden and all, who fought in WW2 to defend their island and the very cause of freedom. So to know that my grandfather Horne was a part of that was thrilling!

My grandfather Kenyon, on my mum's side, also served in WW2, where he escaped a bombed ship travelling back from Dunkirk!

There is a lot in a name. I'm beginning to realise who I am.





Check out this fascinating website to see where your name comes from: http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org









10 comments:

  1. I can always count on a great post from you! I'm also realising how proud I am of my own last name :) I also had some problems with people misusing it in school. aw well, all behind me now too!

    Thanks for the great link! I almost fell off my chair, my last name is all over the place! Pretty cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara for your support of my blog! It's great to learn about your name, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In learning about our own family history we can often times discover where the traits/talents/quirks that we see in ourselves and others have come from. I know this has been true with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Duncan - Thanks for visiting my blog and opting to follow. I followed you back here. :)

    The WWII generation was surely the greatest, I agree, not just in England but here in the US as well. The courage and the sacrifices made are astounding. We owe them so much. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm studying my family history now. Very interesting! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check out that website. My father served in WWII. He was assigned to London and spent time helping with orphans. My mother's current husband flew a spy plane over Japan with only one bullet in his hand gun, to take his life if he was ever captured. He never was. You are right, they were one of the greatest generations.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Duncan. You've got a pretty interesting blog here. Thanks for stopping by mine. BTW it's not always about mascaras. Hope to read more on your life in Kuantan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing family history is such a great and fun thing. My sister has gone back several generation, finding photos and getting marriage and birth certificates. We found out that my great grandfather was a silversmith for Tiffany's and was commissioned by the Queen (at the time) to make a piece for her!
    Thanks for your comments on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree Bish, that's what I'm hoping to discover...

    Lisa and Sylvia, thank you for dropping by.

    Nancy, there are so many great accounts of bravery from the War..

    Jaya J, thanks for visiting. It's good to know your blog is not just all about mascara! I'll be back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly Jones, I'm enjoying your A-Z of London!

    Family history work is such a great education!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, comments and opinions. I'll be responding soon! I will not be publishing anonymous comments so make sure you leave your name with your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...