Monday, April 11, 2011

Immigration


"immolate" - kill or offer as a sacrifice, especially by burning




Immigration


I have a love-hate relationship with Malaysian immigration, somewhere in the ratio of 10:90.

It's been almost five years since I've been living in Kuantan, and I still have to leave the country every three months as a condition of my social visit pass. It remains difficult for me to obtain any kind of longer visa. I was told recently that I may apply for a renewable 6-month visa, but that it would set me back RM1,700!

On previous enquiries the sum has been set at RM2,000, requiring tons of paperwork, the necessity of finding employment, an employers' letter etc etc... Far too much of a hassle.

Being new to the ordeal of leaving a country, the immigration officials looked dark and scary as they sat at their counters, rigid face, eyeing me suspiciously. Now five years on, the fear has departed as I've realised the rights of entry I possess.

So I've been travelling to Singapore regularly, looking forward to visiting that beautiful country each time.

The Kuantan immigration has been particularly helpful to me during one pickle I was put in, but I've had an abundance of difficulties exiting and entering Malaysia through the Johor Bahru (now known as CIQ) complex. At times I wondered if they wanted to immolate me! I won't detail too many of my immigration complaints, but if you follow this link you read of a couple of my experiences.








Has anyone had troubles/experiences entering or exiting certain countries?






6 comments:

  1. Fortunately not so far. I've had problems with luggage being detained but nothing like what you are describing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. How horrible for you. I can't imagine how that would work, having to leave your home in order to get permission to stay. When I arrive in a country I sometimes feel a bit anxious as I approach the 'nothing to declare' section. I try to adjust my face so that I look innocent - which of course I am - but I've never been stopped so I suppose they're good at their job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo nunca he viajado sin embargo he conocido de personas que por ser colombianas las maltratan en otros paises.


    Saludos,


    Postes de madera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ninguna pero me gustaria conocer muchos paises del mundo.

    Saludos,

    Postes de madera

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, I was almost deported from Costa Rica. Like you, I was supposed to leave every three months, and on the way to fix my visa, immigration stopped the bus for a random check. I can't remember why, but they let me go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, delayed luggage can also be very stressful!

    Rosalind, I know exactly what you're saying - it's an extremely uncomfortable walk through immigration!

    Missed Period, that sounds rather scary!

    Thanks for coming to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, comments and opinions. I'll be responding soon! I will not be publishing anonymous comments so make sure you leave your name with your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...